Stansted, Kent, England
Stansted Manor was held by several generations of
the la Zouch family, and Henry la Zouch owned it at his death
circa 1447. Soon after it appears to have passed to Sir William
Culpeper8a, son of Sir John Culpeper7a of Oxen Hoath. At Sir William's death, it passed to his eldest son,
Sir Richard Culpeper9a of Oxen Hoath. Sir Richard had
no sons, and at his death in 1484, Stansted Manor passed to
Richard's three daughters: (1) Margaret Culpeper, wife of William
Cotton of Oxen Hoath; (2) Joyce Culpeper, wife of Edmund Lord
Howard (one of their daughters was Catherine Howard, fifth wife of
Henry VIII); and (3) Elizabeth Culpeper, wife of Henry Barham,
Esq. They sold it to Thomas Leigh of Sibton in Liminge. (Hasted's Kent,
Vol. V, pp 2-3)
In March 2000, Stansted Manor could not be found
and is probably no longer standing.
Mary the Virgin Church
Original registers from 1564.
Connection, if any to Culpepers, not currently
known. Further research needed.
National Grid Coordinates: TQ 607
Location: East of the M20/A20 intersection,
18 miles NW of Goudhurst, and 10 miles WNW of Maidstone.
National Grid Coordinates: TQ
Both the M20 and A20 pass within about a mile of
Stansted, and yet the village manages to convey a sense of
remoteness and tranquility. It has a lovely setting of undulating
hills of the North Downs, with broad views either looking north
towards Gravesend and the Thames Estuary or southwards towards
Wrotham Hill and the Weald in the distance. A campsite located
about a mile south of the town is popular with spectators at
Brands Hatch, which is about 3 miles north of Stansted, but a
million miles away in terms of noise and commotion.
Source: Sean Connolly, Ed., "Stansted", The Hidden
Places of Kent, Travel Publishing, Ltd., 1998., pages 15.
1831 Topographical Dictionary:
STANSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of WROTHAM,
lathe of AYLESFORD, county of KENT, 2 miles (N.) from Wrotham,
containing 292 inhabitants. The
church is dedicated to St. Mary.
Also See: Old Soar, Oxen Hoath, Dukes
Peckham, Kent, and Wrotham, Kent
02 Jan 2015