South Carolina Culpepper Archives
Pendleton District/County (1789-1826)
In the northwestern
corner of South Carolina in the Piedmont region, the
Pendleton region was occupied by the Cherokee Indians until 1777, when
it was ceded by treaty to the state. Most of the early settlers of this
area were Scotch-Irish farmers who moved south from Pennsylvania and
Virginia in the eighteenth century.
Pendleton County was
formed in 1789 from Ninety-Six District. In
1791, along with Greenville County,
Pendleton became part of the Washington
District. However, Washington District was
abolished in 1798 and both Greenville and
Pendleton became districts. In 1826, Pendleton District was abolished
and divided into Anderson and
Pickens Districts. Prior to its abolition,
Pendleton District was bordered by the South Carolina districts of
Abbeville, the Georgia counties of Elbert,
Habersham and Rabun and the North
Carolina counties of Jackson and Transylvania.
below in red have not been matched
with a person in the Culpepper family tree. If you can identify any of
please let us know.
1790 - 1810 US Censuses
Culpeppers were found.
Unknown Townships, Pendleton District,
Joel Culpepper, page 193, 1 M0-10, 1
M10-26, 1 M26-45, 1M45+, 1 F0-10, 1 F26-45, 0 slaves (#5766)√
1830 and subsequent US Censuses
Pendleton District was abolished and divided into Anderson and
No records of any Culpepper
marriages have been
records of any Culpepper deaths have been found.
No records of Culpepper graves have been found.
02 Jan 2015